This project is read-only.

Cannot connect to DB

Jul 21, 2015 at 10:16 AM
Installed .Net Framework.
Installed SQL Server 2012 Express LocalDB
Downloaded putty and stuck it in the PATH
Installed MNM4SDR

On starting i get the message that MNM4SDR cannot connect to the database.

Windows 7 64 bits on VMWare.
Jul 21, 2015 at 10:24 AM
Edited Jul 21, 2015 at 10:40 AM
Same with me. After error 52 i now got error 50.

Based on this note in the documentation: Data Source=(LocalDB)\MSSQLLocalDB is now by default. It should resolve version problem with MS SQL LocalDB, I create MSSQLLocalDB and now getting error:

The database C:\MYFACTORY\MNCDATA.MDF cannot be opened because it is version 782. This server supports version 706 and earlier.

work in progress...
Jul 21, 2015 at 10:35 AM
Edited Jul 21, 2015 at 10:58 AM
I think it's just because the LocalDB database is not created and/or started yet. I created a DB called LocalDB but that doesn't help. Looking for the correct name of the DB.You can create and start a LocalDB instance with:
sqllocaldb c(reate) name_of_db
sqllocaldb s(tart) name_of_db

sqllocaldb i gives you the currently running instances.
Jul 21, 2015 at 10:40 AM
Edited Jul 21, 2015 at 10:59 AM
Ok, database name is MSSQLLocalDB as mentioned here: https://mnm4sdr.codeplex.com/releases/view/616370.
Now i got this
I guess the prereq of SQLLocalDB 2012 is not correct either. Upgrading now to SQLLocalDB 2014.
Coordinator
Jul 21, 2015 at 11:16 AM
Hi Toontje,
This is problem with connecting to MS SQL LocalDB and it is (most often) related to instance that it is running. After you have installed MS SQL LocalDB, open up command window and type "sqllocaldb info", you wil find instances listed, on my computer there are two of them MSSQLLocalDB and v11.0
If you don't have MSSQLLocalDB listed then You can't connect to database file. Fortunately You can accommodate to reflect your situation by editing XML file in C:/MyFactory/MNM 4 RTL-SDR.exe.config. Instead of emphesized MSSQLocalDB put instance you have got by executing command sqllocaldb info.

Regards
Jul 21, 2015 at 11:22 AM
Edited Jul 21, 2015 at 11:30 AM
Hi!

First of all thanks for responding. I can see that you are in the same timezone as i am. This is good. ;-)

As you can read in the previous posts i did manage to install SQLLocalDB 2012 and create the DB as needed. However, then i got the message as in the previous post. Something about my version of SQLLoadDB2012 not supporting the version of the MNCDATA.MDF you include with the software.
I am now installing SQLLocalDB 2014 to see if that helps.

Ton.
Coordinator
Jul 21, 2015 at 11:40 AM
OK, This is beta software and all information about rough edges are very valuable to me.
I've seen this problem a couple of times during the software development and it was always related to connectionString definition.
Coordinator
Jul 21, 2015 at 11:42 AM
Hi pa3ang,
I hope You've found your way out?!
Jul 21, 2015 at 11:47 AM
Not yet skrilic, having this version issue on the MNCDATA.MDF. So waiting for results fron Toontje.
Jul 21, 2015 at 11:52 AM
Edited Jul 21, 2015 at 11:56 AM
Ok, i have it working. What i did was the following:

Replaced SQLLocalDB 2012 with 2014.
Removed the LocalDB and MSSQLLocalDB instances. I don't know if they were leftovers from previous installations or if the 2014 installer creates them.
Started MNM4SDR and launched perfectly. While starting it created a new MSSQLLocalDB instance.

So now i can connect to my RTL device. However, i get the message that there is already 1 user connected to the system. Please try again later. How do i troubleshoot this? All diagnostic from the administration menu turn out fine.

BTW, i have my RTL adapter connected to a Ubuntu box, not Raspbian. ;-)
Marked as answer by skrilic on 7/23/2015 at 9:04 AM
Coordinator
Jul 21, 2015 at 12:07 PM
Edited Jul 24, 2015 at 8:54 PM
It is a measure of precaution to avoid concurrent connection trying to access DVB-T dongle. So I suggest you to logout all users from your ubuntu machine.
It really doesn't metter if you are running ubuntu, debian or raspbian. But in this version the MNM4SDR expects to find rtl_power, rtl_fm, rtl_test etc in /usr/local/bin so if it is not so please make appropriate symbolic links.
Jul 21, 2015 at 12:14 PM
Ok, that was the issue. I am basically permanenty working on that machine. Logging myself out made it work. NICE!
Jul 21, 2015 at 12:24 PM
skrilic wrote:
It is a measure of precaution to avoid concurrent connection trying to access DVB-T dongle. So I suggest you to logout all users from your ubuntu machine or login as different user than you defined in stations table of MNM4SDR.
You should just do an rtl_sdr -t check and if the dongle is in use then show this message. How about systems where a lot of users are logged on to? They would never be able to use this software.
Jul 21, 2015 at 2:54 PM
Okay, got it to work. Needed to remove SQL Server 2012 and installed SQL Server 2014 withou database instance.

Next stage was to reinstall git://git.osmocom.org/rtl-sdr.git again on my new RPi 2

Waiting now for the next developments :)
Coordinator
Jul 21, 2015 at 3:42 PM
Your complaints are valuable and worth of considering for the next version.
As You can see in the project description it is meant to be management station for the network of Raspberry-Pi RF monitoring stations.
If you still want to use Linux workstations or servers as monitoring stations in parallel with its everyday use, in this version It is not possible with logged in users.
Coordinator
Jul 22, 2015 at 9:02 AM
Edited Jul 22, 2015 at 9:03 AM
Thanks pa3ang,
Glad to hear You have sorted out LocalDB version problem. Please don't hesitate to say if you have any further question or suggestion.